In the Beginning...

On Februray 24th, 2011 at 6am I departed Auckland Airport bound for the Solomon Islands to do 10 months of volunteer work alongside two NGOs (who shall not be named here just in case I get my butt kicked for slagging them off). I had been tasked with helping to organise a waste management system (including sewage and rubbish disposal) and to help out with the local marine reserves. I was be based in Kia Village, a small, sea-side village with no roads and no electricity.




Here’s the low down on my trip. Enjoy.

Thursday March 17th: pre-redeparture

I’m finally leaving Honiara tomorrow and I’m looking forward to getting away from the rubbish. My flatmate, Gary and I will fly into a place called Suavano on Northern Isabel. Suavano consists of a paddock... that’s all. One of the local boys from Kia will hopefully pick us up from there and take us an hour up the coast by boat, into the lagoon and to Kia.
Gary is a little apprehensive as to what we’ll find when we get to the house. At high tide the floor boards sit about six inches above the water and with the tsunami, the place might be a little wet.
Once there we have a bit of an orientation planned including such dreadful things as spear-fishing for tuna and checking out the surf breaks (weather dependant). My next blog will be from the Arnavon Islands Community Marine Conservation Area where I’ll be slaving away, swimming with the turtles. Island life is so hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment