In the Beginning...

On Februray 24th, 2011 at 6am I departed Auckland Airport bound for the Solomon Islands to do 10 months of volunteer work alongside two NGOs (who shall not be named here just in case I get my butt kicked for slagging them off). I had been tasked with helping to organise a waste management system (including sewage and rubbish disposal) and to help out with the local marine reserves. I was be based in Kia Village, a small, sea-side village with no roads and no electricity.




Here’s the low down on my trip. Enjoy.

March 27th: The beginning is in sight

Time is still slipping away and it doesn’t look remotely likely that I will start work in the Kia community during the next month. I am waiting to be heard by the local house of chiefs so that they can confirm my objectives and I can start work. Unfortunately though, being as it is that there are 10 chiefs here in Kia (or more, depending on who you ask) getting any changes approved formally is a complicated process, especially if a foreigner is involved. So my work in Kia is still stalling on the launch-pad.
In light of this, I’m selling my services more widely around the area. This evening, myself and Gary, accompanied by our ‘boss’, JP, went to a small village called Zaguto just out of the Kia lagoon and, as JP has arranged, my service were offered to the village.
They were nice people and the village was rather more appealing than Kia with nice gardens and a central communal area, two things that Kia lacks. I introduced myself to them all (which would have been a nerve-racking experience even if it were done in English) and I think I was pretty well-received. They were all keen to share stories with a foreigner and were pretty excited that I was happy to help out in their little village, and to be honest, after such a long period of waiting, I was pretty excited too.

No comments:

Post a Comment