In the Beginning...

On Februray 24th, 2011 at 6am I departed Auckland Airport bound for the Solomon Islands to do 10 months of volunteer work alongside two NGOs (who shall not be named here just in case I get my butt kicked for slagging them off). I had been tasked with helping to organise a waste management system (including sewage and rubbish disposal) and to help out with the local marine reserves. I was be based in Kia Village, a small, sea-side village with no roads and no electricity.




Here’s the low down on my trip. Enjoy.

Sunday 17th: Zaguto Village Meeting

Today I headed back out to Zaguto with an idea in mind that I would help put together a plan for dealing with their waste management problems (ie. no toilets and no organised rubbish disposal). As it turned out when I arrived at the meeting house, they were all sat down and I was invited to instruct the locals as to how to solve their waste management problems. I think they expected a lecture on the proper way to live.
I managed to turn this around, threw a few broad options at them and suggested that they decide what they wanted me to do. After, at first, seeming slightly confused that I, ‘the expert’, was not going to solve the problem for them, it was remarkable how quickly they nutted out a solution.
Within an hour of discussion it was settled that they would dig one mini-landfill per house and they would build composting pit toilets to share between houses. All I was needed for was to provide some ideas on how to build a composting toilet.
We decided that between us we had the skills to put together a compost toilet out of local materials and at minimal cost, and that it would be best for me to help them build one for the church so that they could all see it (and hopefully not smell it) in action. And so it was settled that I would come back after Easter and begin construction with the help of the boys.
The meeting was concluded with a ‘sing-sing’ and it was finally looking hopeful that we might achieve something. I was stoked that I was finally getting somewhere with work. I am however, conscious that my expertise as a toilet engineer may have been somewhat overestimated. Luckily however, among the local lads is at least one builder so I think we’ll pull through eventually.
Bloody turtle shells on the beach at Zaguto.
Sanitation is not the only environmental challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment