In the Beginning...

On Februray 24th, 2011 at 6am I departed Auckland Airport bound for the Solomon Islands to do 10 months of volunteer work alongside two NGOs (who shall not be named here just in case I get my butt kicked for slagging them off). I had been tasked with helping to organise a waste management system (including sewage and rubbish disposal) and to help out with the local marine reserves. I was be based in Kia Village, a small, sea-side village with no roads and no electricity.




Here’s the low down on my trip. Enjoy.

May 20th: Spearing update

Its been a busy few weeks in the islands and I’ve been getting into some actual work... No, really, I have. Needless to say though, I’ve been making use of my time off all-the-same. We’ve been having trouble with the solar power here at the Arnavons but have just received a new generator so I’ll get some more blogs up soon.
Time off...
A Spanish mackeral that I speared near the house at Kia.

No comments:

Post a Comment