In the Beginning...

On Februray 24th, 2011 at 6am I departed Auckland Airport bound for the Solomon Islands to do 10 months of volunteer work alongside two NGOs (who shall not be named here just in case I get my butt kicked for slagging them off). I had been tasked with helping to organise a waste management system (including sewage and rubbish disposal) and to help out with the local marine reserves. I was be based in Kia Village, a small, sea-side village with no roads and no electricity.




Here’s the low down on my trip. Enjoy.

Greetings

Again, it has been a while since I last blogged. I've been a little busy in the village which has been nice for a change but has meant that I havn't been anywhere near internet access for a while. I'm now back in Honiara now though, making use of contact with the outside world for the week and running a few errands. I've also been doing a bit of observing while I've been here, of the expatriot community and aid industry so my next few blogs will be some opinion pieces from some of my observations. Unfortunately my camera has succumbed to the sea so these next few posts will be visually lacking but I hope they're interesting nonetheless.

Vehamo,
Thomas

No comments:

Post a Comment