In the Beginning...

On Februray 24th, 2011 at 6am I departed Auckland Airport bound for the Solomon Islands to do 10 months of volunteer work alongside two NGOs (who shall not be named here just in case I get my butt kicked for slagging them off). I had been tasked with helping to organise a waste management system (including sewage and rubbish disposal) and to help out with the local marine reserves. I was be based in Kia Village, a small, sea-side village with no roads and no electricity.




Here’s the low down on my trip. Enjoy.

Saturday 22nd October: Home Time

Last week, I spoke to my supervisor from the volunteer organisation. He had had his ear to the ground and knew my situation well. Having pushed through the past 8 months, trying to work with several disorganised “organisations” and some of their most incompetent and self-serving staff, there was little more that I could do for the Kia community. “I think it’s about time you pack it in and go home,” he said. It was entirely up to me but I knew he was about right. Even so, I’ve spent the past few days since trying to figure out how to react to this turn of events.
Yesterday, after scrubbing the algae off the bottom of our boat, my fellow volunteer, Gary and I spent half an hour sitting in the sun on the boat and cruising around the coral heads. We then headed in and indulged in some of the fruit we had been given by friends who had called around to chat. Gary said, “you’d have to get your head checked to give up a life like this.”
On the one hand, the diving is so good and the people so friendly that I’m inclined to think he was quite right. On the other hand, my girlfriend is waiting at home for me and there’s no more work for me to do here so there’s really no great reason for me to stay.
It seems I’ll have to get my head checked either way. Next week, on October 27th, I’m going home.

 <> 
Myself and the local gansters.
 
We dug a hole.


Successful spear-fishing.


Village clean-up.


From the dinner table.


Gymnastics.


Gary and I on my last morning in Kia.


The Airport from where I departed.


1 comment:

  1. This is a very very nice trip! I wish you guys had fun on that day. :) My fleet management solutions team likes this so much. Thanks a lot.

    ReplyDelete